Skip to main content

Protecting Your Investment Property

By May 5, 2016May 21st, 2020Insurance
From commercial office buildings and warehouses to multi-family and single-family residential properties, buying rental properties can be a great investment. However, there are some risks you will encounter as well. Making sure that your property is insured right can reduce some of those financial risks.

Accidents can happen to a rental property resulting in damage. Pipes can freeze and burst, a tree can fall on the house, a sewer can back up or a natural disaster can destroy a home or commercial building. In addition to the building itself, you may be responsible for injuries received by others while they are on your property. You could potentially be held responsible for damage to their belongings too.

It’s important to speak with a professional insurance agent to discuss your particular situation and needs. Every property is different. A property in a coastal area has different insurance requirements than one surrounded by farm land. Under-insuring an investment property, over-insuring an investment property or having the wrong types of insurance on the investment property can all produce disastrous results.

Here are some different rental / investment property insurance types, depending on your property:

Apartment Building Insurance
There are many different factors to take into consideration when purchasing insurance for an apartment building. Insurance for actual damage to the building and property is only a part of it. The apartment owner must also take into consideration liability insurance: the owner of an apartment building is liable for injuries that occur to tenants and guests on the property.

  • Buildings
  • Business personal property
  • Exterior and interior building glass
  • Appurtenant structures
  • Increased cost of construction from ordinance or law
  • Lock replacement
  • Outdoor property
  • Tenant relocation expense
  • Landlord’s lobby and hallway furnishings – included in Building coverage and limit
  • Foundations – included in Building coverage and limit
  • Outdoor fences (when damaged by wind or vehicle collision) – to Outdoor Property limit
  • Outdoor swimming pools (including associated structures and personal property used in maintaining pools and other recreational facilities) – included in Building coverage and limit
  • Walkways, patios and signs attached to building or within 100 feet

Commercial Property Insurance
Commercial property insurance is a must to protect your company’s assets. While commercial property insurance isn’t required by law, it’s a wise investment to limit your liability in the event of a natural disaster or other calamity. Without it, your business may not survive financially.
Commercial property insurance can protect your business property plus the personal property of your employees and customers against a wide range of risks, including:

  • Fire
  • Windstorm
  • Falling objects
  • Burglary and theft
  • And more, based on the provisions of your policy

In addition, our commercial property insurance will provide the funds you need to keep your business viable while you recover from covered losses or damages.

Landlord Insurance
Landlord property insurance can protect building owners from lost revenue. Damage is just one of the reasons that you might not be able to rent out one of your units. If you encounter legal difficulties with tenants, this can also lead to lost revenue while you try to resolve these problems, in addition to costing you legal fees.

With landlord property insurance, you can purchase coverage that will include legal expenses. These policies can also compensate you for rent that is lost if there is a significant amount of damage to units and they are not inhabitable. Depending on the type of coverage that you purchase, you can receive either a cash value, which takes into account depreciation of the property, or the replacement value.

Manufactured / Mobile Home Insurance
Can you get great coverage for your mobile home at an affordable rate? Yes you can!

When you purchase a manufactured home, you want protection for your home and all your personal possessions inside. Mobile home insurance is similar to regular homeowner’s insurance, but it’s tailor-made for mobile homes, so you know you’ll be getting the right protection.

Looking for manufactured home insurance? You’ve come to the right place.

Vacant Property Insurance
Not everybody loves insuring vacant homes, but we do! Lots of homes don’t qualify for standard insurance for many reasons. We have programs with specialized coverages developed for the unique insurance needs of a vacant home and its owner.

Your regular homeowners insurance policy will quickly reduce or terminate your coverage if your home or building becomes vacant or unoccupied. In some cases, coverage is lost in just 30 days.

A well-written insurance policy from a top-rated carrier helps investment properties remain assets rather than turning into a liability. That’s why it’s important to have a competent and trusted insurance agent on your team to review your unique situation and needs.