Skip to main content

Your Auto Insurance – Covering Your College Student

By August 21, 2014May 21st, 2020Insurance


We are often asked that if a student goes away to college and doesn’t take a car, should they be dropped from the family auto policy to save some extra money. But remember, your college student will be back for Christmas break and wants the car to visit friends. Or, what if he is away at college and his friends ask him to be a “designated driver” one evening?

If your student doesn’t take a car to school, we recommend that you keep him listed on the policy for a number of reasons:

  • They will be fully protected if he returns home for a weekend visit and wants to drive.
  • They will have insurance protection when he’s driving a friend’s car while away, and that vehicle isn’t adequately insured.
  • Even if they don’t take a car to school, they will be fully protected if they’re hit by a car while walking or bicycling, or while being a passenger in somebody else’s car.
  • Keeping them on your auto policy maintains continuous insurance coverage, which may be beneficial when they gets his own auto insurance policy.

As a full time student, your child may qualify for a Good Student Discount (if they maintain a grade average of 3.0 or higher). Make sure to let your agent know, and provide them with a copy of the transcript or a letter from a college advisor The savings can be significant.

You can also apply for the Distant Student Discount if your child attends college 75 miles or more away from home.

If your student takes a car to school, they can still remain on your auto policy. In fact, they should, since it is usually much more expensive for young divers and students to have their own policy. Be sure to notify your agent about the new garaging address: Not only do insurance companies prefer that, but it may also save you money, particularly if your student attends college in a less populated area of the state.

Full-time college students can usually remain covered on their parents’ auto policy if their primary address is the parents’ house, even if they attend college out of state. Make sure that the policy meets the minimum auto liability requirements for that state.

If your student owns the vehicle and holds the title, they’ll need their own auto policy.

EMERGE INSURANCE AGENCY can help you in properly insuring your college student. We will review your situation and make sure all coverage is current and adequate.