One 4-inch cap contains only 22 calories per serving. They contain a serious nutritional punch, they are low in fat and high in fiber which is good for our health. The portobello has an excellent source of selenium which is an important mineral for optimal antioxidant activity and it has potassium and a lot of the other B vitamins, and their polysaccharide and beta-glucan components show anti-cancer properties.
Portobello mushrooms will retain their nutrients when stir-fried, grilled, or microwaved. I prefer them grilled because the flavor really gets kicked up a notch.
OK, just try grilling a few portobello mushrooms this weekend and you they may become a healthier addition to your regular diet.
Smokey Portobello Sliders (or burger)
Big or small, portobello mushrooms make the perfect grilled “burger.” Portobellos’ meaty texture and rich, robust flavor take on the flavors of marinades and rubs and stay juicy and tender when grilled. The onion topping can be made up to two days ahead and is optional.
- 8 baby or four regular size portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs. Classic BBQ Rub
- 2 medium yellow or white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence – OK, you are follow this simple recipe to make your own.
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried savory or 1 tablespoon dried summer savory
1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 oz. shredded smoked Gouda (¾ cup) or the smoked cheese of your choice
- 8 mini challah rolls or dinner rolls or regular size buns
- Toss mushrooms in bowl with 1 Tbs. olive oil and Classic BBQ Rub. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and herbes de Provence, and cook 30 minutes, or until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat grill or grill topper over medium-high heat. Rub grate or grill topper with vegetable oil. Place mushrooms stem-side down on grill. Brush mushroom tops with barbecue sauce, and grill 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft and charred around the edges. Flip, and grill 3 minutes more. Divide cheese among mushrooms, placing in center of each stem side. Grill 1 minute more, or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, warm the buns. Spread barbecue sauce on bottom buns, and then top each with 1 mushroom, sautéed onions, and top bun.
Enjoy and let me know how you like your vegetarian steak!
EMERGE INSURANCE AGENCY