Skip to main content

I’m Single. What Insurance Should I Get?

By November 19, 2014May 21st, 2020Insurance


It is important to get an insurance policy that adequately covers you and possessions; when you are on your own for the first time it may be difficult to know what coverage you need.  When you are just starting out it is important to look at a few coverage’s.


If you are just starting out you most likely will be renting your first place, in that case you need renters insurance. People often think the landlords insurance policy covers everything, however their policy covers the building not your possessions. Renters insurance covers in these situations.


Homeowners insurance is there to help protect the structure and the belongings of your home, as well as offer liability protection. When purchasing homeowners insurance it is important to get enough to cover the cost to rebuild your home in the event it is totally destroyed.

Condominium Owners

Like renters insurance; this type of coverage protects primarily your personal property. Many condo associations require you to cover portions of your unit which this covers.


It is illegal to drive without auto insurance in most states. The cost of this coverage depends on factors like where you live, your age, car, and driving record.  Some may require purchasing comprehensive coverage in addition to basic liability when leasing or financing a vehicle.


In most cases, the Affordable Care Act lets young people stay on their parent’s heath insurance until age 26. But if insurance isn’t available through your parents or your employer you should consider purchasing individual health coverage.


While many young people don’t see the need of purchasing life insurance it can be a wise purchase. This coverage helps protect family members from financial burdens after your death. At a young age life expectancy is high, so you may benefit from lower rates.