Skip to main content

17 Common Questions Asked by Homeowners About Insurance – # 12

By August 6, 2016May 21st, 2020Insurance
Florida Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners Insurance

If a fire, flood, hurricane, or some other natural disaster were to destroy or damage your home, would you have the right insurance coverage to rebuild your house?

These series of posts are based on the questions consumers most frequently ask, explains what is covered in a standard homeowners policy and what is not. Where gaps in coverage exist, it tells you how to fill them.

To simplify explanations, we assume that you have a policy known as Homeowners-3 (HO-3), the most common homeowner’s policy in the United States. Find out what type of homeowners policy you have. If you have a different policy, you should review your options in question #17.

Question # 12: I have children away at college. Are they covered by my homeowners insurance?
Answer: If they’re full-time college students and part of your household, your insurance generally provides some coverage in a dorm, typically 10 percent of the contents limit. If they live off campus, some companies may not provide this limited coverage if the apartment is rented in the student’s name.

Okay, our next post of common questions asked will be  Question # 13: My golf clubs are stolen from the trunk of my car. Does my homeowners policy cover the loss?

 A current concern if you have enough protection for your home – call us.